WICHITA FALLS, Texas – Cameron held on for the win and the Northeastern State men’s golf team ended the fall with a second-place finish at the Midwestern State Invitational, which was held at the par-71, 6,812-yard Wichita Falls Country Club.
The RiverHawks shot 289 Tuesday to remain in second with a final score of 862 (291-282-289). The three-round total was the lowest recorded by an NSU squad since before the 2009-10 season.
Cameron won the event at 7-over 859 (291-274-294), and NSU finished six strokes ahead of a Southern Nazarene squad that shot 16-over 868 (301-280-287). Rogers State placed fourth at 19-over 871 (296-293-282), and Southeastern Oklahoma State completed the top five at 21-over 873 (286-295-292).
Zach James of Southeastern Oklahoma State finished atop the individual leaderboard at 6-under 207 (68-68-71). Dylan McLure finished second at 4-under despite a final-round 73 to place second.
NSU junior Brent Williamson posted a career-low T-6 finish after shooting 2-over 215 (71-69-75). He also finished inside the top 10 for the third time in his career.
The RiverHawks will now take the rest of the fall off and will reconvene their season March 9-10 at the Dave Falconer Memorial in Russellville, Ark. MIDWESTERN STATE INVITATIONAL – Final ResultsOctober 21, 2014 at Wichita Falls, Texas(par-71, 6,812-yard Wichita Falls Country Club)
1. (RV) Cameron 291-274-294=859 (+7)
2. (RV) Northeastern State 291-282-289=862 (+10)
3. (RV) Southern Nazarene 301-280-287=868 (+16)
4. Rogers State 296-293-282=871 (+19)
5. (RV) Southeastern Oklahoma State 286-295-292=873 (+21)
6. (RV) West Texas A&M 297-290-295=882 (+30)
T7. Dallas Baptist 298-289-296=883 (+31)
Midwestern State 299-289-295=883 (+31)
9. Lubbock Christian 296-297-292=885 (+33)
10. #21 St. Edward’s 302-302-294=898 (+46)
11. Texas A&M-Commerce 302-302-295=899 (+47)
12. Texas A&M International 311-299-292=902 (+50)
13. Newman 297-295-311=903 (+51)
14. (RV) St. Mary’s 309-292-304=905 (+53)
15. Midwestern State 2 320-304-313=937 (+85)
Rankings reflect the latest Golf Coaches Association of America Division II Top 25 Poll
RV = receiving votes in the pol
1. Zach James (Southeastern Oklahoma State) 68-68-71=207 (-6)
2. Dylan McLure (Cameron) 70-66-73=209 (-4)
3. Michael Hearne (Southern Nazarene) 77-64-72=213 (E)
T4. Bradley Ferrell (Cameron) 73-69-72=214 (+1)
Hagen Barmasse (Rogers State) 73-73-68=214 (+1)
T6. Brent Williamson 71-69-75=215 (+2)
T9. Zach Tucker 73-73-71=217 (+4)
T15. Marc Johnson 73-75-70=218 (+5)
T20. Brad Hager 74-71-75=220 (+7)
T29. Jonas Granel 80-69-73=222 (+9)
NORTHEASTERN STATE COACH SCOTT VARNER
"We grew up a great deal the last two tournaments. We competed harder than we have all year. We had a great chance to win these last two tournaments against very strong fields. We are always about winning first and foremost, but I feel good about where we are as a program heading into the winter break. We beat a ton of teams we needed to beat these last two events, and we are well positioned to have a great spring."