STILLWATER – Oklahoma State women’s golf coach Courtney Jones bolstered the Cowgirl lineup with the addition of five talented golfers.
Maja Stark, Isabella Fierro, Hailey Jones and Ashton Begley will arrive at Karsten Creek in the fall of 2019, while Sara Camarena is eligible to join the Cowgirls in January.
“I am thrilled to announce our 2019 recruiting class,” Jones said. “This is a group of young ladies we have been excited about for a very long time. Each of the signees bring a tremendous combination of talent, work ethic and passion for the game, making each of them a perfect fit for our program. Having won all over the world, they will bring their combined experience of winning at the highest level in amateur golf to impact our program immediately.”
Sara Camarena – Mexico City, Mexico (January enrollee)
- Will join the Cowgirl golf team in January and is eligible to compete immediately.
- Attended Lake Travis High School in Austin, where she helped the Cavaliers win Texas 6A state titles in 2016 and 2017.
- Junior Golf Scoreboard listed Sara as the No. 49 junior golfer in America, and the AJGA currently ranks Sara No. 86 in the country.
- She finished second at both the 2018 AJGA Hale Irwin Colorado Junior and the Sergio and Angela Garcia Foundation Junior Championship. She also finished third at the 2017 Texas State Junior Championship, which is right behind fellow Cowgirl signee Hailey Jones.
- Sara competed in the 2018 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship.
Maja Stark – Abbekas, Sweden
- Maja (pronounced like Maya) is currently ranked No. 38 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, which makes her one of the highest rated recruits in program history.
- She helped her home country win gold at the European Ladies Team Championship this past summer.
- She was one of 12 players chosen to represent Europe in the PING Junior Solheim Cup, and as a member of the Swedish National Team.
- Shot a final-round 68 to earn a seventh place finish at the World Junior Girls Championship in September in Ottawa, Canada.
- Maja earned a pair of top-five finishes at Swedish pro tour events, including a runner-up finish at the Anna Nordqvist Vasteras Open.
- Earned a sixth place finish at the 2017 Portuguese International Ladies Amateur Championship.
- In all, Maja owns 13 top-10 finishes at elite events around the world over the last two years.
Hailey Jones – Dallas, Texas
- Hailey is a two-time AJGA All-American, and is currently ranked as the No. 56 player in the country by the organization.
- She was the low amateur at the 2018 Texas Women’s Open at Rolling Hills Country Club, where she posted rounds of 77-69-71 to finish sixth overall.
- Hailey is a two-time winner at the Texas State Junior Championship in 2015 and 2016. Last year, she finished second at the Texas State Junior Championship, just ahead of fellow Cowgirl signee Sara Camarena.
- A standout on the Texas Junior Golf Tour, Hailey was a three-time Player of the Year for the organization.
- No stranger to Karsten Creek, Hailey has competed in each of the last three PING Invitational events in Stillwater, and she finished third in 2016 and fourth in 2017.
- Advanced to the round of 32 in match play at the 2017 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship at the San Diego Country Club.
Isabella Fierro – Merida, Mexico
- One of the most highly touted recruits in Cowgirl golf history, Isabella is currently ranked No. 35 in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.
- Isabella is coming off a phenomenal 2017 season that saw her win the Mexican Amateur Championship in Mexico City, the South American Amateur in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the North & South Women’s Amateur Championship in Pinehurst, North Carolina.
- She has had success in recent years at the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship. Isabella advanced to the match play quarterfinals in 2017 and the round of 16 in August at the Golf Club of Tennessee.
- Isabella finished ninth at the Ladies’ British Open Amateur at Hillside Golf Club.
- In the last two years, Isabella has recorded six major tournament victories and 13 top-10 finishes around the globe.
Ashton Begley – Southlake, Texas
- Ashton picked up golf just three years ago, but has shown promise in her development.
- In July, Ashton was the first ever wire-to-wire winner of the Texas Junior Golf Tour State Match Play Invitational.
- An honor roll student at Carroll High School, Ashton has already been accepted into the Honors College at Oklahoma State.
- Ashton is the daughter of two OSU alums – Jessica and Bryan Begley.