The No. 10 Oklahoma men’s golf team is set to begin its spring season at the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational in San Antonio, Texas. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will take place Monday-Tuesday (Feb. 8-9) at the par-71, 6,765-yard Oak Hills Country Club.
The Sooners are coming off a fall schedule that concluded with a team victory at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational, their second team title of the season. Freshman Brad Dalke and sophomore Grant Hirschman both earned top-five finishes, placing second and fourth, respectively.
Nevertheless, despite several successes in the fall, seventh-year head coach Ryan Hybl said his team is focused on moving forward.
“We had a nice fall, but the fall was a long time ago, and a new season begins this weekend,” Hybl said. “We are not going to look back but instead concentrate on the future for this squad and how we can get better each week. This is a great group of guys and I believe we can do something special this spring.”
OU’s lineup for the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational will feature senior Luke Kwon, junior Max McGreevy, Hirschman, Dalke and freshman Blaine Hale. Kwon, McGreevy, Hirschman and Dalke each competed in all five of OU’s fall events, and Hale is making his debut for the Sooners. Sophomore Rylee Reinertson will compete as an individual and be unattached from team scoring.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Sam Houston State
1. Brad Dalke, Freshman: Led the Sooners at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational at second place overall, his first career top-five finish, with his lowest 54-hole score, 206 (-7) … Earned three top-20 finishes during the fall season with his Ka’anapali Classic showing, a tie for sixth at the Gopher Invitational and a tie for 18th at the U.S. Collegiate … Named Big 12 Golfer of the Month for November … Won the 2015 Junior PGA Championship.
2. Grant Hirschman, Sophomore: Collected his second career top-five placing at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational with a fourth-place finish after firing a 208 (-5), his career-low 54-hole score … Holds 12 career top-20 finishes, tallying three in the fall at the Ka’anapali Classic, the U.S. Collegiate (T-13th) and the Carmel Cup (T16th) … Named a 2015 Division I PING All-America Honorable Mention selection.
3. Max McGreevy, Junior: Claimed his first career tournament win with a 206 (-7) and a career-low 66 third round at the Gopher Invitational … Recorded two top-10 finishes in the fall with his Gopher Invitational win and a tie for 10th at the Carmel Cup … Collected his 11th career top-20 placing with a tie for 11th at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational.
4. Luke Kwon, Senior: Finished in a career-best second place at the Gopher Invitational, his first career top-five finish, with an overall 209 (-4), his career-low 54-hole score … Coming off a tie for 11th place at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational, his third career top-20 finish … Earned a share of 10th place at the Carmel Cup … Led the Sooners at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational with a tie for 28th place.
5. Blaine Hale, Freshman: Pre-collegiate tournament wins include 2014 Bart Granger Memorial, 2014 AJGA David Toms Foundation Classic and 2013 Lanny Wadkins Junior … Four-year member of the Jackie Burke Cup … Named to the Texas UIL 6A All-State first team during his senior year of high school and the Texas UIL 5A All-State first team during his sophomore year.
Individual: Rylee Reinertson, Sophomore: Earned a share of 26th place at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational, his best career finish, with a showing that included his best 18-hole score, 65 (-6) … Won the 107th Nebraska Amateur Championship, pocketing 22 birdies and an eagle … Named 2015 Nebraska Amateur of the Year.
The par-71, 6,765-yard Oak Hills Country Club serves as the course for the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. The Sooners’ tee times will begin Monday at 8 a.m. C.T. with a shotgun start, followed by the second round that afternoon. The final round is slated for Tuesday morning.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 67 degrees and winds from the north, northeast at 10-20 mph.
Tuesday: Sunny with a high of 75 degrees and winds from the north, northwest at 5-10 mph.
OU’S UTSA/OAK HILLS INVITATIONAL HISTORY
This year marks the seventh consecutive season the Sooners have started their spring slate with an appearance at the UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational. Last year, OU finished in third place overall with an 871 (+19). Additionally, the Sooners claimed the team title in both 2013 and 2014.
Live stats will be available on GolfStat.com.