DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Northeastern State women’s golf team shot 331 in Saturday’s final round to finish eighth at the 2013 NCAA Division II Championships on the par-72, 6,228-yard Legends Course at LPGA International.
The RiverHawks were the low finisher of the three representatives from the Central Region, ending the tournament at 138-over-par 1,290. No. 17-ranked Central Oklahoma placed 10th at 146-over 1,298, while No. 15 Augustana College finished 11th at 150-over 1,302.
NSU also bested No. 22 California (Pa.) by a single stroke. The team had a sizable lead on the Vulcans for the majority of the day, but the two squads found themselves tied late in the afternoon.
Northeastern State’s two seniors, Whitney McAteer and Kelsey Kirkpatrick, both chipped in for birdie within five minutes of each other late in their rounds, and Kirkpatrick added another birdie on her 17th hole of the day to ensure the green and white would not have to share eighth-place honors.
McAteer’s chip-in came on the fourth hole, her 13th of the day, while Kirkpatrick chipped in on the fifth hole, her 14th of the day.
The RiverHawks were making their seventh appearance at the national championships since 2000, and they have finished in the top eight in all seven trips.
No. 2 Lynn overtook No. 1 Nova Southeastern for the team championship. Lynn won its first national championship at 35-over 1,187, finishing three strokes ahead of the four-time-defending champs.
Kirkpatrick fired a 76 in the final round, her lowest of the tournament, to shoot 21-over 309 and finish in a tie for 29th. McAteer posted a 24-over 312 and tied for 35th, and freshman McCandren Lewis shot 41-over 329 to end in a tie for 56th.
Sophomore Alex Koch ended the tournament in 65th position at 52-over 340, and freshman Kayla Schroeder carded a 94-over 382 to finish in solo 72nd.
Barry’s Nancy Vergara took home individual honors after firing a 75 in the final round. She won the national championship at 3-over 291.
Northeastern State was making its seventh appearance in the national finals and the first since 2007. The seven appearances are tied for fifth-most in NCAA Division II history and are the most of any team participating at this year’s championships.
2013 NCAA DIVISION II WOMEN’S GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS – Final Results
May 18, 2013 at Daytona Beach, Fla.
(par-72, 6,228-yard Legends Course at LPGA International)
1. #2 Lynn 301-288-293-305=1,187 (+35)
2. #1 Nova Southeastern 292-294-295-309=1,190 (+38)
3. #6 Barry 302-294-298-300=1,194 (+42)
4. #4 St. Edward’s 304-309-307-306=1,226 (+74)
5. #8 Grand Canyon 309-305-310-311=1,235 (+83)
6. #5 Tarleton State 320-301-303-318=1,242 (+90)
7. #21 Indianapolis 321-301-311-310=1,243 (+91)
8. #27 Northeastern State 318-317-324-331=1,290 (+138)
9. #22 California (Pa.) 327-314-320-330=1,291 (+139)
10. #17 Central Oklahoma 326-320-329-323=1,298 (+146)
11. #25 Augustana 328-321-328-325=1,302 (+150)
12. #36 Ashland 344-325-330-332=1,331 (+179)
1. Nancy Vergara (Barry) 71-72-73-75=291 (+3)
2. Linnea Johansson (Nova Southeastern) 73-70-72-77=292 (+4)
3. Daniela Ortiz (Nova Southeastern) 67-75-75-77=294 (+6)
4. Ellen Chambers (Lynn) 74-73-73-75=295 (+7)
5. Charlotte Jaengkit (Grand Canyon) 77-70-74-75=296 (+8)
T29. Kelsey Kirkpatrick 78-78-77-76=309 (+21)
T35. Whitney McAteer 75-80-77-80=312 (+24)
T56. McCandren Lewis 84-77-83-85=329 (+41)
65. Alex Koch 81-82-87-90=340 (+52)
72. Kayla Schroeder 94-99-94-97=382 (+94)