Be sure to keep an eye on the PGA Tour website through next Tuesday as several players with Oklahoma ties are battling for position on next year’s Web.Com Tour in the final stage of Web.Com Qualifying School.
Here is a link to the live scoring of the event. Early in the second round Friday morning, former Oklahoma State golfer Trent Whitekiller of Sallisaw and Ryan Spears of Del City and Wichita State were tied for 18th at 3-under, former OU golfer Abraham Ancer was tied for 40th at 1-under as was Edmond resident Rhein Gibson who played collegiate golf at Oklahoma Christian. Former Tulsa resident Brad Elder was at 1 over while Will Kropp of Edmond was at 4 over.
Below is information on the event, including what’s at stake.
* The Web.com Tour Qualifying Tournament is a six-day, 108-hole competition that ends on Tuesday Dec. 16. The tournament is being contested at the PGA National Resort and Spa’s Champion Course (CC) and Fazio Course (FC). The Champion Course has played host to The Honda Classic on the PGA TOUR since 2007. The Fazio Course plays to a par 72, while the Champion Course plays to a par 71.
* There were nearly 1,000 entries for the tournament, which included previous Pre-Qualifying, First and Second stages that began in August.
* A total of 150 players began play on Thursday morning.
* Players in this event are competing for positions on 2015 Web.com Tour priority ranking, which will be used to form tournament fields. The medalist (or co-medalists) will be guaranteed fully-exempt status next year. Players #2-10 (and ties) will be subject to the third reshuffle next year and players #11-45 (and ties) will be subject to the second reshuffle.
* This week’s medalist will earn $25,000. Players Nos. 2-10 (and ties) will earn $15,000 each. Players Nos. 11-45 (and ties) will earn $10,000 each.
* There is one amateur competing this week – Edward Figueroa. He will have the option of joining the Tour and becoming a member at any point in 2015, but will have to join as a professional at that time.
The field is compiled of players who successfully got through the Second Stage of the Qualifying Tournament. Other players are exempt to the Final Stage of Qualifying. For example, players who finished 76th-85th on the Web.com Tour Regular Season Money list, players who finished 26th-50th on the Web.com Tour Finals money list and players who finished 1-10 on PGA TOUR Canada, PGA TOUR Latinoamerica and PGA TOUR China’s Orders of Merit can enter the Final Stage. (View complete list of players eligible for Final Stage)