NORMAN — The No. 4 Oklahoma men’s golf team looks to advance to its eighth consecutive NCAA Championship at the NCAA Norman Regional this week. The three-day, 54-hole tournament is taking place Monday through Wednesday (May 14-16) at the par-72, 7,452-yard Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club in Norman, Okla.
The regional is one of six 54-hole preliminary events for the NCAA Championship finals. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA Championship, scheduled for May 25-30 at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Okla.
The Sooners, who are the No. 1 seed at the Norman Regional, are returning to competition after winning the 2018 Big 12 Championship. The win marked the program’s first Big 12 title since 2006. Senior Grant Hirschman became the first OU player since 2005 to earn individual medalist honors at the Big 12 Championship with a 72-hole 283 (+3). Junior Brad Dalke and redshirt sophomore Quade Cummins also placed in the top 10, tying for seventh.
OU’s lineup for the NCAA Norman Regional will include Dalke, Hirschman, sophomore Garett Reband, junior Blaine Hale and Cummins. Senior Rylee Reinertson will serve as OU’s alternate.
The Sooners will tee off from hole No. 1 starting at 7:30 a.m. CT on Monday and will be paired with No. 2 seed Auburn and No. 3 seed Arkansas. Admission is free.
(GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
1. Oklahoma (4)
2. Auburn (9)
3. Arkansas (15)
4. Florida State (27)
5. North Florida (26)
6. Pepperdine (25)
7. BYU (41)
8. Virginia (53)
9. San Diego State (50)
10. Nevada (55)
11. Sam Houston State (70)
12. UMKC (122)
13. Navy (214)
14. Prairie View A&M (269)
1. Ian Snyman, North Texas
2. McClure Meissner, SMU
3. Peyton Wilhoit, Southern Illinois
4. Chris Korte, Denver
5. Tanner Napier, Arkansas State
1. Brad Dalke, Junior: Leads OU with a 70.41 stroke average … Made the Big 12 All-Tournament Team tying for seventh overall at 286 (+6) at the Big 12 Championship … Fired a 66 (-5) in the second round at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational … Earned fourth top-5 finish of the season with a three-day 207 (-6) at The Goodwin … Won second individual tournament title of his career with a three-round 208 (-8) at the Lone Star Invitational … Selected to the U.S. Palmer Cup Team on March 14 … Named to the watch list for the 2018 Ben Hogan Award and the Haskins Award.
2. Grant Hirschman, Senior: Has a 71.06 stroke average this season … Became the first OU player since 2005 to earn individual medalist honors at the Big 12 Championship with a 72-hole 283 (+3) … Finished with a three-day even-par 213, tying for 27th place at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational … Carded a season-low 66 (-5) to pick up his fifth top-10 finish at The Goodwin … Posted a 70 (-2) in the final round of the Lone State Invitational, finishing in third place at 210 (-6) … Finished in a share of 28th place with a three-day score of 219 (+3) at the Southern Highlands Collegiate.
3. Garett Reband, Sophomore: Claimed a share of 24th place at 226 (+6) at the Lone Star Invitational … Competed as an individual at the Puerto Rico Classic, tying for third at 215 (-1) … Recorded a 70.60 scoring average during the fall season … Two top-5 finishes this season … Opened the season with a third-place finish at the Carmel Cup, posting a 203 (-13) … Tied for sixth at the East Lake Cup.
4. Blaine Hale, Junior: Recorded OU’s lowest score in the final round of the Big 12 Championship with an even-par 72 … Tied for 12th place at 209 (-4) at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational … Earned fifth top-10 finish of the season, claiming a share of seventh with an overall 208 (-5) at The Goodwin … Finished tied for 10th place at the Lone Star Invitational as an individual.
5. Quade Cummins, Redshirt Sophomore: Joined the Big 12 All-Tournament Team typing for seventh overall at 286 (+6) … Sooners’ top-finisher at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational earning third place with a three-day 204 (-9) … Finished with an overall 209 (-4) at The Goodwin, matching his 54-hole career low … Tied for sixth place at the Lone Star Invitational, marking his second top-10 finish in his last three team events.
6. Rylee Reinertson, Senior: Tied for 26th overall at 293 (+13) at the Big 12 Championship … Claimed first individual win of his career at the ASU Individual Invitational with a three-day score of 205 (-8) … Finished with a 75 (+3) to total a 216 (E) at the Puerto Rico Classic individual tournament.
The par-72, 7,452-yard Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club will serve as the site for the NCAA Norman Regional.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days. All three rounds are scheduled to begin at 7:30 a.m. CT Monday through Wednesday. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championships finals.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 89 degrees and winds from the south at 16 mph. 20 percent chance of rain.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with a high of 84 degrees and winds from the south at 11 mph. 50 percent chance of rain.
Wednesday: 50 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms with a high of 83 degrees and winds from the south, southeast at 12 mph.
OU’S NCAA REGIONAL HISTORY
Last year, the Sooners placed fourth at the NCAA Stanford Regional to advance to the NCAA Championships finals for the seventh year in a row. At the national tournament in Sugar Grove, Ill., OU claimed the NCAA Championship after a 3-1-1 victory in match play over Oregon.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com<http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=15134>.