The No. 13 Oklahoma men’s golf team is in Augusta, Ga., this weekend for the 3M Augusta Invitational. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will be held Saturday-Sunday (April 1-2) at the par-72, 7,005-yard Forest Hills Golf Club.
“We have the same group of guys this week going to one of the greatest golf towns in the world, Augusta,” OU head coach Ryan Hybl said. “We are looking forward to getting back at it this weekend and hoping to continue to get better.”
Sooner Brad Dalke will head straight from the event to his rendezvous with The Masters. He qualified by being the runner-up in the 2016 U.S. Amateur Championship.
The Sooners are looking to carry their momentum from a big win at the Lone Star Invitational on March 20-21. OU fired a program-low 267 (-21) in the final round to surge into first and clinch the team title, and senior Max McGreevy earned a dominating individual crown with an overall 196 (-20) and a bogey-free tournament.
OU’s lineup for the 3M Augusta Invitational will include McGreevy, juniors Grant Hirschman and Rylee Reinertson and sophomores Dalke and Blaine Hale.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Wake Forest (8)
New Mexico (49)
Army West Point
1. Max McGreevy, Senior: Dominated at the Lone Star Invitational, winning the tournament with a three-round 196 (-20) to mark his third career tournament win … Recorded all three rounds in the 60s at the Lone Star Invitational, including a school-record-matching 63 (-9) in the second round … Earned co-medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate … Placed in the top 20 in eight of nine tournaments this season … Currently ranked No. 27 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
- Grant Hirschman, Junior:Claimed his second individual win of the season at the Southern Highlands Collegiate, earning the title with a birdie on the first playoff hole … Earned his first career tournament win at the Gopher Invitational, firing a birdie on the final hole to earn the title outright … Coming off back-to-back top-20 finishes, tying for 11th at the Lone Star Invitational and 12th at the Southern Intercollegiate … Individually ranked No. 47 by Golfweek/Sagarin.
- Rylee Reinertson, Junior:Coming off a tie for fourth at the Lone Star Invitational, marking the best finish of his career and his first career top-five placing … Has one other top-20 finish this season, a tie for 12th at the Southern Intercollegiate … A native of Gibbon, Neb., named the 2015 and 2016 Nebraska Amateur Golfer of the Year.
- Brad Dalke, Sophomore: Holds two top-20 placings this season, a tie for 18th at the Lone Star Invitational and a tie for 20th at the Carmel Cup … Runner-up at the 2016 U.S. Amateur … Represented Team USA at the World Amateur Team Championships Sept. 21-24, tying for 20th individually.
- Blaine Hale, Sophomore: Earned two top-five finishes during the fall, tying for fourth at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic and sharing fifth at the Gopher Invitational, the first top-five placings of his career … Shot a career-low round, 66, three times this year (Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational first round, Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic second and third rounds) … Most recently, tied for 30th at the Lone Star Invitational … Ranked No. 93 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
The par-72, 7,005-yard Forest Hills Golf Club serves as the site for the 3M Augusta Invitational.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. The first round is scheduled to begin Saturday at 7:30 a.m. CT with a shotgun start, and the second round will follow that afternoon. The final round will be on Sunday with tee times beginning at 7:30 a.m. CT.
Saturday: Sunny with a high of 83 degrees and winds from the west, northwest at 5-10 mph.
Sunday: Sunny with a high of 83 degrees and winds from the east at 5-10 mph.
OU’S 3M AUGUSTA INVITATIONAL HISTORY
The Sooners are competing in the 3M Augusta Invitational for the first time since 1993. OU has appeared in the tournament four times, with its best finish coming in its debut in 1989 when the squad claimed the team title.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.