The No. 11 Oklahoma men’s golf team is in San Antonio, Texas, this week for the Lone Star Invitational. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will be played March 20-21 (Monday-Tuesday) at the par-72, 7,247-yard Briggs Ranch Golf Club.
“We are looking forward to getting back on the road this week, and having a chance to compete in San Antonio is always fun,” eighth-year head coach Ryan Hybl said. “Briggs Ranch is a good, solid golf course, and I think it will suit our guys well.”
The Sooners are returning to competition after finishing third at the Southern Intercollegiate on Monday. Senior Max McGreevy was OU’s best finisher, claiming a piece of eighth individually and earning his 15th career top-10 placing.
The OU lineup will feature McGreevy, juniors Grant Hirschman and Rylee Reinertson and sophomores Brad Dalke and Blaine Hale. Freshman Garett Reband will compete as an individual and be unattached from team scoring.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
New Mexico (49)
New Mexico State
1. Max McGreevy, Senior: Earned co-medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, his second career tournament win … Placed in the top 20 in seven of eight tournaments this season: the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, the Carmel Cup (T8th), the Southern Intercollegiate (T8th), The Prestige at PGA WEST (T9th), the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic (T12th), the Gopher Invitational (T16th) and the Southern Highlands Collegiate (T18th) … Currently ranked No. 57 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
- Grant Hirschman, Junior: Claimed his second individual win of the season at the Southern Highlands Collegiate, earning the title with a birdie on the first playoff hole … Earned his first career tournament win at the Gopher Invitational, firing a birdie on the final hole to earn the title outright … Coming off a tie for 12th at the Southern Intercollegiate … Individually ranked No. 47 by Golfweek/Sagarin.
- Rylee Reinertson, Junior: Coming off a tie for 12th at the Southern Intercollegiate, marking the best finish of his career and his second career top-20 placing … Has also competed in the Southern Highlands Collegiate and the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate this season … A native of Gibbon, Neb., named the 2015 and 2016 Nebraska Amateur Golfer of the Year.
- Blaine Hale, Sophomore: Earned two top-five finishes during the fall, tying for fourth at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic and sharing fifth at the Gopher Invitational, the first top-five placings of his career … Shot a career-low round, 66, three times this year (Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational first round, Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic second and third rounds) … Most recently, tied for 25th at the Southern Intercollegiate … Ranked No. 50 individually by Golfweek/Sagarin.
- Brad Dalke, Sophomore: Recorded the sixth top-20 placing of his career after tying for 20th in the Carmel Cup … Runner-up at the 2016 U.S. Amateur … Represented Team USA at the World Amateur Team Championships Sept. 21-24, tying for 20th individually … Coming off a tie for 30th at the Southern Intercollegiate.
Individual. Garett Reband, Freshman: Made his collegiate debut at the Gopher Individual tournament, earning a share of 17th place to record his first career top-20 finish … Also competed as an individual at the Southern Intercollegiate, placing in a tie for 25th overall.
The par-72, 7,247-yard Briggs Ranch Golf Club serves as the site for the Lone Star Invitational, hosted by UTSA.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days, with Monday featuring the first 36. The first round is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. CT Monday with a shotgun start, and the second round will follow that afternoon. The final round is slated for an 8:30 a.m. CT shotgun start on Tuesday.Additionally, all five members of a team lineup play in a group together through all three rounds.
Monday: Partly cloudy with a high of 83 degrees, winds from the south at 10-15 mph and a 10 percent chance of rain.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with a high of 84 degrees, winds from the south at 10-15 mph and a 10 percent chance of rain.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.