NORMAN – The Oklahoma men’s golf team looks to finish its fall slate on a strong note as the Sooners head to Atlanta for the 2017 East Lake Cup. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will be played Monday-Wednesday (Oct. 30-Nov. 1), at the par-72, 7,430-yard East Lake Golf Club.
The four-team field features the semifinalists from the 2017 NCAA Championships. OU, the reigning national champion, will take on Illinois, Oregon and Vanderbilt at the prestigious event. The Sooners topped Illinois in the semifinals and Oregon in the championship match to claim the program’s second national title last season.
In OU’s last outing, the Sooners finished with a share of 11th place at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate with a three-day 855 (-9). Brad Dalke finished tied for fifth place at 208 (-8), claiming his third career top-5 performance as a Sooner.
The Sooners’ lineup at the East Lake Cup will feature Dalke, Blaine Hale and Grant Hirschman along with Garett Reband and Riley Casey.
(GOLFSTAT RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
1. Brad Dalke, Junior: Has recorded seven top-10 finishes in his last eight events dating back to last season… Tied for fifth place at Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate, marking his third career top-5 performance after shooting the last two rounds in the 60s … Tied for seventh place at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational, carding all three rounds in the 60s … Took eighth place at the Gopher Invitational … Carded two rounds in the 60s at the Carmel Cup, tying for 11th at 208 (-8) … Named a 2017 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection.
2. Grant Hirschman, Senior: Tied for 44th place with a total score of 218 (+2) at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate… Finished tied for 46th place at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational … Took eighth in the opening event of the year, shooting 206 (-10) at the Carmel Cup … Followed up by tying for 10th place at the Gopher Invitational in OU’s last event … Named a 2017 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection … Competed in all 14 team events, serving as a team captain.
3. Blaine Hale, Junior: Took 72nd place at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate… Carded a career-low 64 (-7) in the first round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished the tournament tied for seventh place at 205 (-8) … Named a 2017 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection … Competed in 13 team events last season.
4. Garett Reband, Sophomore: Finished tied for 52nd at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate… Recorded four birdies during the final round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished tied for 23rd place at 211 (-2) … Had career-best weekend at the Carmel Cup, taking third place at 203 (-13), his first top-5 finish at OU … Reband’s 203 at Pebble Beach was a 54-hole career-low.
5. Riley Casey, Sophomore: Claimed a share of 41st place at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate with a 54-hole total of 215 (-1) … Carded a three-day total of 208 (-5) at the Nike Collegiate Invitational, ranking as his lowest 54-hole score as a Sooner and marks his third career top-20 finish … Shot 213 (-3) at the Carmel Cup, tying for 23rd …Competed in seven events as a freshman.
The East Lake Cup will be played at the par-72, 7,430-yard East Lake Golf Club for all three days.
The East Lake Cup features a one day of stroke play and two days of match play. Monday’s stroke play will determine seeding for the two rounds of match play. The first round will begin Monday at 10:55 a.m. CT.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 63 degrees and wind out of the west, northwest at 7 mph.
Tuesday: Sunny with a high of 67 degrees and wind out of the west, northwest at 6 mph.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny with a high of 70 degrees, a 10 percent chance of rain and wind out of the south, southeast at 6 mph.
OU’S East lake cup HISTORY
The Sooners are making their first appearance at the East Lake Cup.
Golf Channel will provide extensive coverage of the 2017 East Lake Cup. All three days of action will be televised live from 2-5 p.m. CT.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com<http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?SPSID=750356&SPID=127252&DB_OEM_ID=31000&pg=team&tid=14031>.