The 14th-ranked Oklahoma men’s golf team looks to qualify for its fifth straight NCAA Championships when it competes as the No. 3 seed at the NCAA San Diego Regional. The 13-team tournament will be held Thursday-Saturday (May 14-16) at the 6,947-yard, par-72 The Farms Golf Club in San Diego, Calif.
The regional is one of six 54-hole preliminary events for the NCAA Championships finals. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the NCAA finals, which will be held May 29-June 3 at the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla.
The Sooners are coming off a Big 12 Championship where they finished in sixth place with a four-round 1178 (+58). Senior Michael Gellerman tied for third place after firing a 287 (+7).
OU’s regional lineup will include seniors Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, junior Beau Titsworth, sophomore Max McGreevy and freshman Grant Hirschman.
The Sooners will tee off from the first tee at 10 a.m. CT for Thursday’s first round and will be paired with No. 1 seed Arizona State and No. 2 seed Georgia Tech.
THE FIELD (GOLFSTAT RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
1. Arizona State (3)
2. Georgia Tech (10)
3. Oklahoma (14)
4. New Mexico (22)
5. Virginia (27)
6. Georgia (34)
7. East Tennessee State (39)
8. Mississippi (47)
9. San Diego (55)
10. Idaho (59)
11. St. Mary’s, California (65)
12. Wichita State (98)
13. Eastern Kentucky (150)
1. Cody Blick, San Jose State
2. Petter Mikalsen, Denver
3. George Cunningham, Arizona
4. Antione Rozner, Missouri-Kansas City
5. Chad Merzbacher, Tennessee
6. David Kocher, Maryland
7. Matt Green, Kansas State
8. Conner Campbell, Loyola Marymount
9. Hayden Shieh, Santa Clara
10. Justin De Los Stanos, Cal Poly
1. Michael Gellerman, Senior: Coming off a tie for third place at Big 12 Championship … Has finished in top 20 in 10 of 11 events this year … Ranked No. 39 by Golfweek … Named to 2014 and 2015 All-Big 12 Team … Recorded first career victory at 2014 Wyoming Cowboy Classic (6-under 204), becoming OU’s first individual medalist since 2011.
2. Grant Hirschman, Freshman: Claimed share of first at Liberty Spring Invitational at 3 under par … Tied for seventh place at prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters … Named to 2015 All-Big 12 Team … Has finished in top 20 in eight of his 11 collegiate events … Ranked No. 66 by Golfweek.
3. Charlie Saxon, Senior: Tied for first at Liberty Spring Invitational with a 3-under-par 213 … Took a share of seventh at competitive Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters … Made his season debut at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational (tied for 45th) after missing the fall with an injury … Won 2013 Lions Classic as an individual with a two-round 141 (+1).
4. Max McGreevy, Sophomore: Coming off a tie for 13th place at Aggie Invitational … Matched his career best with a tie for fourth place at Royal Oaks Intercollegiate … Also tied for fourth place at season-opening Carmel Cup with a 5-under 211 … Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month Honors for September 2013 after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments.
5. Beau Titsworth, Junior: Took a share of first at Liberty Spring Invitational with a 213 (-3) … Tied for 20th at Big 12 Championship … Placed on 2014 Big 12 Championship All-Tournament Team after taking a share of fifth, a career best for team events, with a 290 (+2) … Has posted three straight top-20 showings.
The 6,947-yard, par-72 The Farms Golf Club serves as the track for the NCAA San Diego Regional.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days. The first round is scheduled for Thursday, with the Sooners teeing off from hole No. 1 beginning at 10 a.m. CT.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a high of 64 degrees and winds from the west, southwest at 10-15 mph. Seventy percent chance of showers in the afternoon.
Friday: High of 63 degrees with winds from the south, southeast at 10-15 mph. Chance of rain 100 percent.
Saturday: Mostly sunny with a high of 66 degrees and winds from the south, southwest at 10-15 mph.
OU’S NCAA REGIONAL HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners advanced to the NCAA Championships finals for the fourth straight year and the 35th time overall by finishing third at the NCAA Eugene Regional in Eugene, Ore. At the national tournament in Hutchinson, Kan., OU tied for 16th place.
Live stats will be available at GolfStat.com.