Providence, RI –– University of Tulsa freshman golfer Greta Bruner was named the American Athletic Conference’s Women’s Golf Athlete of the Week, as announced today by the league office.
Bruner is coming off of a first-place individual performance at the Dale McNamara Invitational on Tuesday, while leading the Golden Hurricane to the team title.
A true freshman from Conroe, Texas, Bruner turned in rounds of 71-69-71 for a one-over par 211 score at the par-70 Tulsa Country Club Course, as she claimed medalist honors with a six-stroke victory over second place.
The top finish was Bruner’s first collegiate career victory and her sixth top-15 performance this season.
The win for Bruner was the first tournament victory for a Tulsa freshman since October 2010 when Kristina Merkle won the Johnnie Imes Invitational. It was the first victory overall for a Tulsa golfer since Merkle won the 2013 Notre Dame Clover Cup.
Bruner and the Tulsa Golden Hurricane will be in action beginning this Sunday at the American Athletic Conference Championships, April 16-18, at the Hammock Beach – Conservatory Course in Palm Coast, Florida.
April 12, 2017
ELMHURST, Ill. – Denver’s Sophie Newlove and Oral Roberts’ Beatriz Garcia were named Summit League Women’s Golfers of the Week for their performances during the week of April 5-11.
BEATRIZ GARCIA, ORAL ROBERTS
Fr. // Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico
- Earned her first career Golfer of the Week honor
- Finished tied for third place out of 54 golfers with a 54-hole 219 (76-69-74) at the Dale McNamara Invitational
- Her low-round 69 and 54-hole score are the lowest of her career
- Finished the week with a 73.0 stroke average
LMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts’ Cody Burrows was named Summit League Men’s Golfer of the Week for his performance during the week of April 5-11.
CODY BURROWS, ORAL ROBERTS
So. // Chickasha, Okla.
- Recorded his fourth career Golfer of the Week award and second this season
- Earned his second top-five finish as he tied for fourth place out of 66 golfers at the Jim West Intercollegiate
- Fired two rounds of 70 for a score of 140 at the rain-shortened event
- Helped guide the Golden Eagles to a six-place team finish
Also nominated: Jake Kelley, Denver; Austin Crowder, IUPUI; Tommy Vining, South Dakota; Andrew Blackburn, Western Illinois