BARTLESVILLE, Okla. (Sept. 23) – Freshman Wes Jackson claimed individual honors in a playoff and Central Oklahoma captured its third straight team title at the 16th Annual NSU Golf Classic here Tuesday.
Jackson’s closing 1-under-par 70 sparked a closing 288 by the Bronchos, who finished three trips around the par-71 Hillcrest Country Club with an 879 total in beating West Texas A&M by nine strokes.
Central Missouri was third in the 18-team tournament at 891, followed by Arkansas Tech (892) and Harding (896).
UCO trailed ATU by two shots entering the final round, but stormed past the Wonder Boys to claim its third championship in three tries this fall.
Jackson’s 70 led the way, while Russ Purser added an even-par 71. Eric Kline shot 73, Logan Gray 74 and Joby Gray 80, while Cody Troutman had a 78 and Eli Armstrong a 79 playing as individuals for the Bronchos.
Jackson, a freshman from Fort Gibson, tied WTAMU’s Oscar Spolander for medalist honors before taking the individual crown with a par on the first playoff hole.
UCO is off until going to St. Joseph, Mo. Oct. 13-14 for the Central Regional Invitational.
Northeastern State finished in ninth place in the its host event. NSU finished the tournament third among MIAA teams. The event is the second MIAA-sanctioned tournament in 2014-15. The results from the event will be used to help determine the conference champion in April.
The RiverHawks, who were hosting the tournament, carded a 53-over 905.
Sophomore Marc Johnson led the way for the RiverHawks after shooting a 75 in Tuesday’s final round. He finished tied for 23rd at 12-over 225. Senior Zach Tucker carded a 77 in the final round to finish tied for 37th at 16-over par 229. Junior Brent Williamson shot 18-over 231 in the tournament to finish tied for 41st.
Sophomore Tyler Green carded a 78 on Tuesday finishing tied for 51st with a 20-over par 233. Seniors Brad Hager, Jonas Granel and Josh Strimple finished locked in a tie for 54th while carding a 21-over 234. Granel and Strimple were both playing as individuals.
The RiverHawks are next in action in Goodyear, Ariz., for the Grand Canyon Invitational Sept. 29-30.
16th Annual NSU Golf Classic – Final Results
September 22-23, 2014 at Bartlesville, Okla.
(par-71, 6,607-yard Hillcrest Country Club )
1. Central Oklahoma 295-296-288=879 (+27)
2. West Texas A&M 304-289-295=888 (+36)
3. Central Missouri 292-299-300=891 (+39)
4. Arkansas Tech 295-294-303=892 (+40)
5. Harding 306-300-290=896 (+44)
6. Henderson State 295-301-301=897 (+45)
7. SW Oklahoma State 303-292-303=898 (+46)
8. SE Oklahoma State 298-298-306=902 (+50)
9. Northeastern State 307-292-306=905 (+53)
10. Missouri Western State 308-309-299=916 (+64)
11. Lindenwood 302-310-308=920 (+68)
12. Washburn 304-305-313=922 (+70)
13. Missouri Southern State 319-301-312=932 (+80)
14. Nebraska-Kearney 311-313-316=940 (+88)
15. Fort Hays State 321-308-321=950 (+98)
16. East Central 333-317-315=965 (+113)
17. Lincoln 330-343-321=994 (+142)
18. Southwest Baptist 338-335-325=998 (+146)
T1. Oscar Spolander (West Texas A&M) 74-67-73=214 (+1)
Wesley Jackson (Central Oklahoma)* 70-74-70=214 (+1)
3. Alex Williamson (Harding) 69-74-73=216 (+3)
T4. Sam Migdal (Central Missouri) 71-74-72=217 (+4)
Travis Mays (Central Missouri) 67-74-76=217 (+4)
*Won the tournament on a playoff hole