Cowboys seek 12th Big 12 title, 57th conference crown overall
Venue: Whispering Pines Golf Club · Trinity, Texas
Live Stats: golfstat.com
What 2 Watch 4
• Oklahoma State’s men’s golf team will seek its 12th Big 12 title this week when it begins play at the Big 12 Championship at Whispering Pines Golf Club in Trinity, Texas.
• Overall, the Cowboys have won 56 league titles and have produced 48 individual champions since the program’s first season in 1947.
• The Cowboys will be the tournament’s No. 2 seed and will be grouped with top-seeded Oklahoma. The two teams will get their first round underway at 8 a.m. (CST) on Monday.
• The tournament will consist of 72 holes with 36 being played on Monday followed by 18-hole days on Tuesday and Wednesday. Pairings for the second day of play will be based on the 36-hole totals from Monday’s action. The final day’s pairings will be based on the 54-hole team totals with the leaders teeing off last.
OSU At The Big 12 Championship
The Cowboys have won 11 Big 12 crowns in the history of the event. OSU won three of the first four tournaments, finishing atop the leaderboard in 1997, 1998 and 2000. The Cowboys’ next league title came in 2005 before reeling off five-straight victories from 2007-2011. OSU claimed No. 10 in 2019 in the first-ever Big 12 Championship contested at The Greenbrier before repeating last year with a one-shot victory at Prairie Dunes.
OSU has produced the event’s individual medalist on 10 occasions with Leif Westerberg (1997), Charles Howell (2000), Anders Hultman (2002), Hunter Mahan (2003), Pablo Martin (2007), Rickie Fowler (2008), Morgan Hoffmann (2009, 2011), Stratton Nolen (2016) and Kristoffer Ventura (2018) all taking top honors.
Current Cowboys At The Big 12 Championship
Last year, four Cowboys proved instrumental in the squad’s victory at Prairie Dunes in their first Big 12 appearances. Then-freshman Bo Jin tied for second place at 277, while Eugenio Chacarra and Aman Gupta shared 10th place. Jonas Baumgartner tied for 16th place in his conference tourney debut. Gupta also served as the substitute for the Cowboys’ 2019 title-winning squad.
OSU And Whispering Pines
This year’s event will mark the seventh time Whispering Pines has served as the host venue. The Cowboys won the first three championships contested at the layout, taking the crown in 2005, 2008 and 2010 . Rickie Fowler won the individual title in 2008.
• On four occasions, the Cowboys have produced the medalist and runner-up with Charles Howell and Edward Loar going 1-2 in 2000 followed by Pablo Martin and Ryan Posey in 2007, Rickie Fowler and Kevin Tway in 2008 and Morgan Hoffmann and Tway in 2011.
• The Cowboys last won three consecutive conference titles with their five-year run from 2007-11.
• In addition to its 56 conference titles, OSU has 10 runner-up finishes, three third-place showings, a pair of fourth-place finishes, two fifth-place finishes and has finished sixth once.