A new opportunity for golfers of all skill levels to compete in a series of tournaments begins in June, with an expenses-paid weekend playing in The Tour Championship at Shangri-La Resort a reward for the top 10 finishers in two skill divisions.
The Race to Shangri-La is a series of four qualifying events using the Stableford scoring system. There will be a handicap and a scratch division with the top 10 in each qualifying for The Tour Championship Oct. 15-16 at Shangri-La, free entry and hotel room included.
There is a $125 entry fee to join the tour, otherwise each event just costs the green fee and cart fee at the participating courses. The tournaments will be capped at 100 players.
June 12, The Kickoff at Forest Ridge Golf Club, Broken Arrow
July 17, The Battle at Bailey Ranch, Owasso
August 22, The Birdie Fest at Meadowbrook CC, Tulsa
Sept. 25, The Showdown at Sand Springs, Canyons at Blackjack Ridge
The final event will be a pro-am featuring individual and team competition. Birdies and Bogeys Tour founder Martin Maritz, a former University of Tulsa star golfer originally from South Africa, said proceeds from the tour will be used to help create playing opportunities for young professionals from Oklahoma as well as fund the extravaganza at Shangri-La.
The events are open to men and women. Men 55 and over will play a forward set of tees while ladies will play tees as designated by the home course. Golfers can qualify for Shangri-La in as few as one event with a top two finish, but enter all events to increase your chances. There are also sponsorships available to purchase spots in the final pro-am.
At the pro-am, one player will have a shot from 165 yards for $1 million, while eight others will shoot for $100,000. Other prizes available as well.
To enter or for much more information about the formats and prizes available, go to www.racetoshangrila.com.
Format (from the website)
- Individual stableford points system (Double Eagle=5, Eagle =4, Birdie =3, Par =2, Bogey = 1, Double Bogey =0)
- Top 2 from the Birdie Flight, and Top 2 from the Bogeys Flight in each Major event qualify for The Tour Championship at Shangri-La (Scorecard playoff will be done starting with the No. 1 handicap hole)
- The remaining 4 spots will be made up of folks playing in a minimum of 2 events (or play in 3 or 4). Add your best 2 scores for your grand total and the top 2 from the Birdie Flight and the top 2 from the Bogey Flight will qualify. (For those players that tie for the top 2 spots, the criteria for a tie breaker will be: 1- Who played in the most events, 2- Highest individual score from a Major event and if there is still a tie, 3- The 2nd highest score and so forth.
- Players that finish in 3rd place and below in the total points (Minimum of 2 events played) will be put on a waiting list for Shangri-La. If the Sponsor/Player spots are not all filled (10 available) The remaining spots will be filled by these players finishing just outside the qualifying spots, in order.
- Birdie Flight (no h/c, straight up golf)
- Bogey Flight (h/c) *The tournament committee reserves the right to verify and adjust h/c’s as needed.
- Tournament is open to both men and ladies. Men and ladies over 55 will play forward tees and ladies will play ladies tees as designated by the home course..